Join me for my one-day Police Character and Dialogue Online Course #Happy Valley# special.
This live, online workshop for crime novelists and screenwriters will teach you how to write more credible dialogue and police characters.
In this special event, you’ll learn from me, and our very special guests Bob and Carol Bridgestock, bestselling crime writers and police and crime consultants to the BAFTA winning BBC drama, Happy Valley. Happy Valley is universally considered to be the most authentic police drama in terms of characters, plot, dialogue and the world that Bob and Carol helped create.
Using real scripts and clips, we’ll uncover the secrets of creating credible police characters and how to craft authentic dialogue without sacrificing a second of action or compromising characterisation.
Learn about the importance of opening scenes, finding the right location to set your story, and ways to work with casting while weaving in police procedure seamlessly – whether you are working on a novel or screenplay.
Bob and Carol will host a specially extended live and interactive Q&A, so come armed with questions.
After completion of this workshop, you will:
• Understand the typical career path for police officers
• Know who the civilian staff are and what they do
• Be able to describe the UK police force structure
• Understand the rank structure and how the hierarchy works
• Appreciate the constraints on officers’ personal lives and how this affects them
• Know how to write authentic dialogue involving officers (between peers, senior officers and the public)
• Be confident in using reader-friendly jargon to add credibility to characters
• Be able to write credible workplaces and police station scenes, including authentic humour and coping mechanisms
• Describe who does what in a crime investigation