NOTE: Competition Deadline 17th September 2021
The Allingham Festival Flash Fiction and Poetry Competitions are designed to recognise and reward talented writers who, in the footsteps of William Allingham, seek to launch or further their careers. The Allingham Festival includes competitions for adult writers of poetry and flash fiction, and also competitions for children.
The top prize in both Flash Fiction and Poetry is €300. Winners will be invited to read their winning entries at an awards ceremony as part of the main festival.
Terms and Conditions
· All entries must be the original work of the entrant.
. Entrants must be 18 years old or older on or before 3rd of November 2021.
· Entries must not have been published elsewhere (online, digital, or in print) before 3rd of November 2021.
· Winners of 2019 and 2020 Allingham Poetry or Flash Fiction competitions are not eligible to re-enter in 2021.
· All entries must be written in English.
· Entries must be typed. Handwritten entries will not be considered.
· Entries can be submitted by uploading on our website, email or by post. The deadline for receipt of both postal and e-mail entries is midnight Friday September 17th.
· Each entrant may submit up to 5 poems, maximum 40 lines per poem.
· Each entrant may submit up to 5 flash fiction pieces, maximum 700 words each.
· Judges’ decisions are final. No correspondence will be entered into regarding the shortlist or the winners. Entries will not be returned.
HOW TO ENTER
· Submit online entries as .doc, .docx, or .pdf files using the online entry system. Each entry – each poem or flash fiction piece – must be submitted as a separate file using our online entry system. Do not send screenshots of your poem or story. JPGs of your poem/story will not be entered into the competition. Postal entries must be typed or printed on A4 pages.
· Page number format should include page number and total page count for each entry. Example: Page 1 of 3, Page 2 of 3, etc.
· Flash Fiction pieces will preferably be submitted as Font Size 12, in a plain font such Arial or Times New Roman font. Use 1.5 or double-spacing. Include title of entry and page number(s) on all pages. 700 words maximum.
· Poetry formatting, including spacing, is at the discretion of the author. Include title of entry and page number(s) on all pages. 40 lines maximum.
· Each entry must include an application form. For online entries, the entry form serves as the application form. For postal entries, print an application form and include it with your entry.
· Include the title of your story or poem and its page number(s) on all pages, but not your name or any other personal details. Personal information must appear only on the application form.
· The entry fee is €5 for each poem or flash fiction piece.
· The Poetry Competition and the Flash Fiction Competition are separate. Entries to the two competitions must be made separately. Example: if you wish to submit one piece of flash fiction and three poems, fill out an entry form for the flash fiction and submit the entry along with the fee. Fill out a separate entry form for the three poems and send the form and the three poems along with the fee.
· Poems and flash fiction pieces must be submitted in separate emails or in separate envelopes.
See here for further details.