Competition deadline: 7th May 2022
June Fest is a community and family-orientated festival run by the non-profit organisation, White Lily Events, in Newbridge each year during the month of June. The Festival has been running since 2012 and celebrates its 10th ‘birthday’ this year. The Festival grew out of the Bealtaine festival that had been held in Newbridge in the years prior to 2012. Each year the festival grew in stature and in the range and number of events it encompassed – peaking at some 100 events in 2019.
June Fest celebrates and promotes music, arts, culture, nature, sports, heritage, history, and other associated and related activities by hosting events in Newbridge and the surrounding area. June Fest strives to bring our community the best in Art, Theatre, Music and Family Entertainment. It provides a platform for community groups and local creatives, such as the Kildare Art Collective, to showcase their work and talent.
Open to ages 13 – 17 years old, this year June Fest are hosting a short story competition.
• Short stories (any genre) up to 2,500 words to be submitted to email@example.com (in MS WORD or pdf format) by 5.00 pm 7th May 2022. Also include full name, age, mobile number
• The theme of this year’s contest is The River. The theme can be mentioned in any capacity big or small.
• Writers of the best 5 stories will be invited to read at a creative event hosted on the 4th June 2022, alongside the winners of a poetry competition and other local writers.
• Competition will be judged by students of UCC’s MA in Creative Writing who will read all entries.
• Entrants may only submit original unpublished work, but self-published work is eligible.
• To help those unsure about writing a short story, links to material that may be of assistance are posted on June Fest’s website. https://www.junefest.ie/news/short-story-links/
• Further details of competition are also available on June Fest’s website https://www.junefest.ie/news/teen-short-story-brief/