Competition deadline: 30th September 2019
About the Competition:
The theme of the competition is “Redemption” and we are asking for people to submit original works of fiction that have previously been rejected from other magazines or competitions (this is an honour-system, we trust you to be honest!). All submissions should be between 1500 and 3000 words.
The competition is open to anyone, anywhere in the world over the age of 18. You may enter up to three stories into the competition. The cost of the first submission is €10 and all subsequent submissions cost €5 each. If you require feedback on your submission, the cost is €20 and includes entry into the competition.
The winning story will receive €250, with €175 and €125 for second and third place winners respectively. The top 10 entries will be published in a special future edition of Silver Apples Magazine.
About the Judges:
The winning entries will be selected by our special guest judges Sarah Moore Fitzgerald and Dan Mooney.
Sarah Moore Fitzgerald was born in New York, grew up in Dublin and lives near Limerick where she works as an academic and teaches creative writing on the highly respected MA in Creative Writing programme at the University of Limerick. She is a proud founding member of WritePace, a Limerick-based writers’ group. She is about to publish her fifth children’s novel. Follow her @SMooreFitz
Dan Mooney is a writer, air traffic controller, and amateur filmmaker with one of his short films being broadcast on national TV. Dan is also a fan of amateur dramatics and rugby, and is a friend to many cats. He wrote his first piece of fiction for a child-operated local newspaper at the age of ten and has been writing ever since. He lives in Limerick and is the author of two novels, Me, Myself and Them and The Great Unexpected. Follow Dan on Twitter @danielmoonbags
Terms and Conditions
1. Silver Apples Magazine Short Story Writing competition (the “Competition”) is open to people worldwide aged 18 and over.
2. The Competition is not open to the producers of Silver Apples Magazine (“us” or “we”), their family members, or anyone else connected to the Competition.
3. Entrants into the Competition shall be deemed to have accepted these terms and conditions.
Entry into the Competition:
4. To enter the Competition, you must submit a short story of between 1500 and 3000 words. The Submission must have been rejected from other magazines/journals/competitions (this is an honour-system, we trust you to be honest). The Submission must not have been published before in any other publication (or on any website), must not contain any third-party materials and/or content that you do not have permission to use, must not promote your own or third-party goods or services or include any trademarks and must not promote inappropriate or dangerous behaviour, or otherwise be obscene, defamatory, distasteful, offensive or in breach of any applicable law or regulation, or in breach of any confidentiality obligations owed by you to any third party. If we have reason to believe your Submission is not your own work or otherwise breaches the terms laid out in this paragraph (paragraph 4), then we may not consider it and may disqualify it.
5. Submissions must be made through the submissions page on our website. Through the process you will be asked to register and upload a document. This is blind competition. PLEASE DO NOT PUT YOUR NAME ON YOUR UPLOADED DOCUMENT. If you do, this will result in automatic disqualification. All pages must be numbered and have the title of the story on each page. Only Submissions received in this format will be accepted. We will not accept any Submissions received via our email. Entrants must have a valid PayPal account in order to enter.
6. If you have any questions about how to enter or otherwise in connection with the Competition, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org with “Redemption — Short Story Competition” in the subject line.
7. The first Submission costs €10 (ten euro). All subsequent Submissions cost €5 (five euro). If you require feedback on your Submission, the cost is €20 (twenty euro) and includes entry into the Competition. The cost of entry is non-refundable and entrants are solely responsible for the cost of entry.
8. Silver Apples Magazine accepts no responsibility for entries that are lost, delayed, misdirected or incomplete or cannot be delivered or entered for any technical or other reason.
9. If you have paid for the “Submission + Feedback” option, please allow up to six months for a response.
10. The Competition opens on July 1st 2019 and closes at 23:59 on September 30th 2019. Entries received outside this time period will not be considered. Silver Apples Magazine reserves the right in its absolute discretion to extend the closing date for a reasonable period of time where an insufficient number of the entries received have satisfied the entry and judging criteria.
11. You own the copyright to your Submission as its author.
12. By submitting an entry to the Competition, you give Silver Apples Magazine:
a. Permission for your Submission to be published on our website (www.silverapplesmagazine.com) and on any social media account controlled by us (including but not limited to Facebook and Twitter accounts), and you grant Silver Apples Magazine a non-exclusive, royalty-free, worldwide licence to use and publish your Submission in electronic format (including on the website and social media accounts), pdf, and hard copy for purposes connected with the Competition, and to adapt the Submission to enable such publication (including to edit it for such purposes), and you hereby irrevocably waive, for the benefit of Silver Apples Magazine, all moral rights in the Submission to which you are entitled; and
b. The right to use your name and country of residence for the sole purpose of identifying you as the author of your Submission and/or as a winner or runner-up of the Competition.
Picking the winners
13. The competition will comprise of a long list and a short list. All lists will be announced on our website, Facebook, and via email. The Silver Apples team will decide the longlist. We will present the longlist to the judges who will decide the ten best submissions including the top three winners. All ten shortlisted Submissions (including the first, second, and third place winners) will be published in a special future issue of Silver Apples Magazine titled “Redemption”.
14. The judges’ decision of who the winners are will be made on or before October 31st. The judges’ decision is final and no correspondence will be entered into.
18. Cash prizes will be awarded to the top three winning Submissions only. The prizes for the Competition are as set out below:
First Place — €250 (two hundred and fifty euro)
Second Place — €175 (one hundred and seventy five euro)
Third Place — €125 (one hundred and twenty five euro)
19. Winning entrants must have a valid PayPal account in order to receive prize money. Prizes will be paid on or before December 31st 2019. In the unlikely event that we do not get enough submissions to cover prize money, submission fees will be refunded by the same date.