This award was established by Limerick County Council and is jointly funded by Limerick City and County Council and The Arts Council to celebrate Michael Hartnett’s contribution to literature in English and Irish. The Michael Hartnett Annual Poetry Award is awarded in alternate years to books of poetry in the Irish and English language.
In 2022, the award will be made to a poet writing in English who has published a third book of poetry, or subsequent book of poetry, in the last two years, i.e. 2020-2021. The winner will be awarded a prize of €8,000.
This year’s adjudicators are poets Kerry Hardie and Peter Sirr, both past recipients of the award. Conditions:
- The Michael Hartnett Annual Poetry Award targets published poets in mid-career, with the objective of supporting and encouraging the furtherance of their career.
- The Michael Hartnett Annual Poetry Award, in the year 2022 will be awarded for a book of poetry in the English language.
- The award-winning poet must be an Irish national or be resident in Ireland for a period of over two years.
- A book of poems by a poet will be selected on the following basis:
That it must be the poet’s third book of poetry, or subsequent book of poetry, published in the last two years, i.e. 2020 to 2021.
- Only single volumes and not selected poems or collections are eligible for submission.
- Previous recipients of the Michael Hartnett Poetry Award are not eligible for consideration in 2022.
- Poetry books are to be submitted by publishing houses and only one book title per poet is allowed.(Poets must be informed by their publishers of their books’ submission for this award.)
- The adjudicator’s decision will be final. No discussion will be entered into with any of the submittedpoets with regard to the judges’ decision.
- Four copies of the submitted book of poems with the completed application form should be sent to:Limerick Arts Office, Limerick City and County Council, Merchants Quay, Limerick and should arrive here no later than Friday 17th June 2022 (Please note that books cannot be returned.)
- Please submit a separate application form for each individual poet. Applications forms may be photocopied.
- The Michael Hartnett Poetry Award will be awarded to the winning poet on October 6th, the opening night of Éigse Michael Hartnett Literary & Arts Festival in Newcastle West, Co. Limerick.
Please forward application form and four copies of the book to: Limerick Arts Office
Limerick City and County Council, Merchant’s Quay, Limerick
Oifig Ealaíon Luimnigh
Comhairle Cathrach agus Contae Luimnigh, Cé na gCeannaithe, Luimnigh
T: 061 556370