Emerging Writer Member Profile
I do lots of things writing related; here's a snapshot!
• NUJ member: As a freelance journalist I write news and features for the Southern Star Newspaper and the Irish Examiner and am a regular contributor to Books Ireland Magazine. I am a professional book reviewer, working for the Irish Examiner Newspaper and Books Ireland Magazine.
• Broadcast short story writer; I was a commissioned writer of children’s short stories for the RTE Radio 1 programme Fiction 15 ; short stories have appeared on ‘The Creedon Show’ and ‘Pick of the Week’ (all RTE radio programmes.)
• Short stories and flash fiction published in a variety of magazines and publications; the most recent include Cyphers Literary Magazine, Number Eleven, Brilliant Flash Fiction (www.brilliantflashfiction.com); prose in the book '1916-2016 An Anthology of Reactions'.
• Writing for a successful pantomime group (Lehanmore Players) in West Cork for a number of years.
• Script writer for the film ‘Caillte’ shown at a recent Fastnet film festival.
The light that once danced through the tall branches of the trees was now encapsulated in mist. An ear cocked to the damp undergrowth hears the laughter of the missing child pulsating through the gloom of the souls it now resides with. The leaves whisper even in the absence of wind, speaking in Gaelic, the language of ancestors who once ruled the plants; perhaps lamenting a lost tongue, a lost soul of a land now pervaded by a higher culture of stars and banners and glossy chattels. Possibly one considers, the child is better off lost in the woods, a domicile of wattle, safe with still a sense of place.
Writing a historical fictional novel set in Ireland.
Become an Emerging Writer Member