Organisation Member Profile
About this Organisation
SCBWI Ireland is the Irish chapter of the Society of Children’s Book Writers and Illustrators (SCBWI). Our membership includes both published and prepublished writers, illustrators, and translators. The chapter is run by volunteers led by the current Regional Advisor, writer Colleen Jones, with Illustrator Coordinator Ciara Winkelmann. SCBWI Ireland was established in 2007 by award-winning author Jane Mitchell and Maeve McMahon.
SCBWI Ireland welcomes anyone who lives on the island of Ireland and who has an interest in writing, illustrating, or translating stories for children, ranging from picture books to novels for young adults.
SCBWI Ireland offers writers and illustrators support, information, and education at a local level. This includes but is not limited to:
- Regular social events in Belfast, Cork, Dublin, Longford, and Waterford
- Sharing information and having online discussions on social media (Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, and our website)
- Scribblers online critique group for members, which operates by email on a monthly basis from September to June each year
- An annual face-to-face or online event, such as a webinar or workshop
Society of Children’s Book Writers and Illustrators
SCBWI is an international non-profit organization supporting writers, illustrators, and translators for children and young adults in books, magazines, film, television, and multimedia. We have more than 22,000 members worldwide in over 70 regional chapters run by volunteers.
- Publishes a newsletter
- Organizes two annual international conferences on writing and illustrating for children
- Offers regional conferences and events around the world
- Offers awards and grants for works in progress
- Presents annual awards for fiction, non-fiction, humour, and non-traditionally-published books
- Provides information on the art and business of writing and selling written, illustrated, and electronic material for children
SCBWI membership automatically grants you membership to SCBWI Ireland or your nearest local region. You can also travel to other regions to attend SCBWI events or meet up with members in those locations.
To find out more about the SCBWI international organization, visit www.scbwi.org.
Become a Member Organisation