A website or blog can be a great way to get your name, as an author or aspiring writer into the world. It will help you reach your target audience, and create a space where they can go to either find out more about you and your work or if you decide to write a blog, they can come to the site to stay up to date with it.
Creating a website or blog is easier than you might think. Once you have the idea and concept ready, the next step is all about bringing it to life. This blog will explore the top 7 things to keep in mind when setting up a blog or website. Let’s get into it…
- Include All Relevant Information
As you probably already know, websites are broken down into pages. There are some pages that almost every website will have, and yours is no different. These pages have all the relevant information the visitor may need if they want to find out more about you, or even contact you for example.
- Homepage: This is the first page a visitor will land on when they click on your website. This page should include things like headlines, call to actions, images, and links to your social media accounts if you have them.
- About Page: An “about us” page is where you are given the opportunity to tell the visitor your story. This is often the page visitors will go to if they want to know about you on a deeper level, as a writer. You can talk about what genre of writing you specialise in, how you became a writer, and so on. Here, you could consider including a photo of yourself too, so your readers can put a face to the name!
- Contact Page: A “contact” page has all the information someone might need if they wanted to get in touch with you. The page could include a contact form, or you can include things like your email address, phone number, work address, and your social media links.
These three pages are included to make life easier for your reader, once these are in, you have a little more freedom with the content that goes on other pages.
- Consider your Content
When creating a website or blog, you should take some time to think about the content you will be posting on it. The content should interest the readers, so they come back to the site, or share it with people who they think will enjoy it too. It might be a good idea to do a little research on what type of content your audience would like to see before starting your blog. This can be as simple as running a poll on social media. If you feel you know your audience well already, there might be less of a need for this, just ensure that the content is in line with what you know will interest them.
- Stay Consistent
Once you know what type of content you want to write, now you just need to make sure you stay consistent. For example, if you have told your readers, you will have a new post every Monday at 6 pm, then you need to ensure you keep this promise. If a visitor comes to your blog on a Monday at 8 pm and doesn’t see a new post, they may lose trust or interest in your blog. Communication ties in here too. If there is a week you can’t post, just let your readers know, they will understand and appreciate it!
- Make it Easy to Find
The last thing you want after spending hours creating your website or blog, is for no one to be able to find it, right? Remember that there are tons of websites and blogs on the internet, so if your website isn’t easy to find, it might get lost! Some things you can do to help your website to be visible are:
- Use a URL that is easy to remember
- Keep your website updated
- Use keywords related to your genre or writing
- Use links to other websites
- Add Value
Your readers come across countless amounts of content online every day. You want your website or blog to stand out. A good way of doing this is by adding value to the reader’s lives. As a writer, this will probably come effortlessly to you. The aim here is that your visitor comes away from your blog having learned something, solved a problem, or even made them laugh. Doing this will ensure that your audience comes back for more.
- Share it other Platforms
If you have social media accounts for your writing, this is a great place to promote your new website or blog. Your followers are already interested in the content you post on your social media, so the chances are that they will enjoy your website too. You can put a clickable link into the bio of your accounts so it’s super easy to find. You could also post some stories talking about your blog and what people can expect from it. This is a fantastic way of getting the word out and getting your audience excited for it.
- Practice Makes Perfect
If this is your first time setting up a website or blog, it may take time to get the hang of it. Take some time to get familiar with the platform you are working on. It may also take some time to get used to creating content and posting on your website or blog. If you keep practicing, it will get easier along the way. After all, practice makes perfect!
In conclusion, creating a website or blog is a great way for you to gain more traction as a writer. Once you have a plan in place and try your best to stick with it you are halfway there. Hopefully, your blog will eventually become a place your readers can come to for interesting, insightful content and more.
(c) Michael Saly