Following on from the focus on first chapters last week, I thought I’d take a look at novel endings this week and in particular how to end your novel the right way. Novel beginnings and ends are so important and in the links I’ve chosen this week, you’ll find plenty of tips and advice on creating the perfect ending for your story as well as help on plotting the ending.
- https://www.nownovel.com/blog/writing-the-end-of-your-novel/ – How to end a book: 8 Tips for a Rewarding Read: This post contains 8 tips to help you create the perfect ending for your novel. The tips are all listed at the top of the article and then each one is given its own dedicated section with an explanation of what it means. The tips include things like using the 5 W’s, leaving room for the readers’ imagination, and thinking about the types of story endings that will suit your book. There are some examples included to help you make sense of everything.
- https://blog.reedsy.com/how-to-end-a-story/ – How to End a Story Right: 13 Tips Every Author Should Know: This article includes a video at the top for those who prefer to watch it. The article begins with an explanation on the 6 types of endings and what they are used for before offering up 7 tips on how to craft the perfect ending. There are some great explanations included throughout and this is a great guide for all writers.
- https://www.writersdigest.com/write-better-fiction/how-to-structure-a-killer-novel-ending – How to Structure a Killer Novel Ending: This article talks about the four parts of effective storytelling before moving on to look at the guidelines for creating a compelling ending. The resolution of your story shouldn’t contain any new information. As such if something appears it should have been foreshadowed. There are 4 guidelines included in this section which focus on the hero of your story and how they should evolve. This is quite a detailed article, but it contains a lot of gems.
- https://writingcooperative.com/how-to-create-the-perfect-ending-for-your-story-7dd741ca4008 – How to Create the Perfect Ending for Your Story: A bad ending can ruin your story and this article explains how not to do that. There is a section on the characteristics of a solid ending as well as information on the importance of an emotional climax. Victory is discussed as is the power of loss. There’s also a focus on revelations and understanding for both the characters and readers. There are some excellent examples included throughout to help highlight each point.
- https://refiction.com/articles/making-ends-meet-how-to-write-a-good-ending-to-a-story – Making Ends Meet: How to Write a Good Ending to a Story: This article looks at what story endings are and explains some of the types of endings that you might use. It then provides some tips on how to write your story’s ending. I loved the section on famous last lines and even just reading these will give you some insight into why they work.
- https://www.writermag.com/improve-your-writing/fiction/ending-your-novels/ – Pro Tips for Writing the Ending of Your Novels and Short Stories: This article looks at how to successfully navigate the last chapter of your novel or story. There’s a great section on short story endings versus novel endings, followed on page two by a look at what constitutes good endings. The next section looks at bad endings and again you’ll find examples to show this. Page three of this article looks in detail at the process of writing endings. This is a very detailed article and I would recommend putting aside some time to read it in full.
- https://thewritepractice.com/end-story/ – How to End a Story: 3 Steps to Finding Your Perfect Ending: This article beings with a look at the problems with endings before leading into 3 steps you can use to find your story’s ending. This includes crushing with consequences, surprising with the protagonist’s reaction, and concluding with a denouement. There’s even an exercise you can do after reading to help you figure out your perfect ending.
- https://writersrelief.com/2013/05/10/great-endings-for-books-and-stories/ – 9 Key Elements of Great Endings for Books and Stories: This article looks at the different types of elements that can make for great story endings. This includes the unpredictable element, the plot twist, the dark moment, the emotional epiphany, leaving room for interpretation, and tying up loose ends. It’s a short read but has some great advice.
- https://www.novel-writing-help.com/plotting-the-ending.html – Plotting the Ending of a Novel: While I’m a pantser at heart, I did enjoy reading this article. It looks at what makes a good ending to a plot as well as looking at how happy endings can work. After all the discussion there are steps to plotting the ending. These include reaction, rebirth, seizing the prize, and the new status quo. This article is part of a much bigger series of articles on Plotting a Novel, and it is packed with examples, tips, and advice that I found really useful. A link to the full Plotting a Novel series can be found at the end of the article if you want to read more.
- https://thewritersally.com/articles/how-to-end-a-story-three-ways-to-nail-your-books-ending/ – Ways to Nail Your Book’s Ending: The final link for this week looks at three ways to end your story. There’s a discussion about cause and effect and how this can be used to drive the action even at the end of your story. There’s a section on the rules of narrative and a final section on not rushing your conclusion. It’s a shortish read but worth having a look if you want a different perspective on how to end your story.
I hope you’ve enjoyed all the links this week and are getting ready to practice all the advice given. If there is a topic you’d like to see me cover, all you need to do is get in touch with me via any of my social media links.
(c) Amanda J Evans