Resources for Writers
How To Find Time For Writing: Really Useful Links by Amanda J Evans
It’s January and for many this means writing resolutions, beginning that novel you promised yourself, and generally getting back into the swing of things. For this month, I thought it would be appropriate to look at ways to ensure you stay motivated and achieve your goals and what better way than starting with some tips and advice on how to find time for your writing.
- https://self-publishingschool.com/time-writing-8-steps-become-weekend-writing-warrior/ – Time for Writing: How To Make Time To Write in Your Busy Life: This first article comes from the self-publishing school and features 9 tips to help you succeed. It covers everything on how to build a writing habit right the way through to creating a word count target. Each tip is explained in detail and there are even some videos thrown in.
- https://www.thecreativepenn.com/2018/03/28/how-do-you-find-time-to-write/ – How Do You Find Time To Write?: Joanna Penn’s website is a wonderful resource for writers and covers absolutely everything. In this article she discusses how she find the time to write and provides some great tips too. You can read the article or watch the video. She talks about the importance of scheduling and asking yourself how much you really want it.
- https://writingcooperative.com/how-to-make-more-time-for-writing-in-2017-2792f12ffd0e – How to Make More Time for Writing: The Writing Cooperative has a great article from 2016 that is still as useful today. This article explores how to find time to write even when your life is extremely busy. There are five detailed tips contained in this article and some great quotes to take away as well.
- https://www.writersdigest.com/wd-books/biam_excerpt – 4 Tips for Making Time to Write: This Writer’s Digest article was posted back in 2008 but the advice is solid and stands the test of time. The first tip is one that I follow myself and that has proved extremely valuable since I started writing back in late 2016. It also discusses the Pareto Principle and how to keep track of your writing time. Definitely worth taking the time to read.
- https://lifehacker.com/how-to-make-time-to-write-when-you-have-no-time-1827141901 – How to Make Time to Write When You ‘Have No Time’: This is an article from Lifehacker that contains a letter from a wannabe writer followed by advice on how to overcome the lack of time to write. It’s straight forward and to the point and really makes you look at your writing life and what you want to get from it.
- https://www.nownovel.com/blog/how-to-find-time-to-write-while-you-work/ – How To Find Time To Write: 9 Tips to Get Words Down: This article comes from the Now Novel website and features 9 different pieces of advice that everyone can use to help increase their word count. Each tip has its own section with information on how to get things done by using smaller writing sessions, taking advantage of commutes, and creating a plan.
There are a lot of other great articles and some not so great ones too. The key to being a success however will all depend on you. Some articles say to cut down on your sleep, but if you’re a busy parent with small children sleep might already be something of a commodity. Others say to cut back on the amount of time you spend watching TV, but again TV might be a luxury for you after a busy day a work and that hour before bed might be your way to destress. You need to find the tools that will work for you and your lifestyle and when you do, you’ll be able to find the time to get those words down your way.
I hope you enjoyed the links today and I look forward to bringing you some more Really Useful Links next week. If there is a topic that you would like to see covered, get in touch and I will see what I can do.
(c) Amanda J Evans