The end of your story can be just as important as the beginning and in this week’s column I thought I’d look at some top tips and strategies for writing the perfect ending to your story. Whether you’re a plotter or a pantser, having a satisfying ending is important. You need to make sure you have everything tied up and that your story arc has been completed. There are different types of endings which you will discover in the links below along with examples and tips and techniques that you can use. Hopefully the links I’ve chosen will help you find the perfect ending and understand the importance of getting it just right.
- https://www.masterclass.com/articles/how-to-write-the-perfect-ending-for-your-novel – How to Write the Perfect Ending for Your Novel: This article comes from Masterclass and talks about the important decisions authors must make when writing the ending of their stories before talking about the four elements required for a satisfying ending. These include resolution, transformation, suspense, and surprise. The article then provides 7 tips on how to write a satisfying ending for your novel.
- https://www.writerswrite.co.za/the-5-essential-elements-of-a-perfect-ending/ – The 5 Essential Elements of a Perfect Ending: This article contains a list of 5 essential elements that you can use to help you write the perfect ending for your story. These tips include ensuring that all your story lines are resolved and that any loose ends are tied up. It is also important to end your story on a strong note.
- https://thejohnfox.com/2016/07/how-to-end-a-story/ – Write the Perfect Ending: 6 Ways to Satisfy Readers: If you’re lucky enough to get your story published, one of the main things you will be looking for is satisfied readers and this article can help. This article explains the 6 different types of endings you can have and includes examples. There is also a section on how to pick the ending you need for your story and there are 3 questions posted that can help you decide. The end of this article includes some exercises that you can do to create perfect endings.
- https://writersedit.com/fiction-writing/6-easy-ways-achieve-perfect-ending-story/ – 6 Clever Ways to Achieve the Perfect Ending to Your Story: This article explains that stories can have one of a number of possible outcomes and details six specific types of endings and explains what each one is so you can see which one will work for the story you are writing and how you can use it with success.
- https://kingdompen.org/8-ways-to-write-a-perfect-ending/ – 8 Ways to Write a Perfect Ending: This article offers 8 ways to write the perfect ending for your story and details each. Whether you want to plan your ending from the very beginning, have a happy ending, of create sentimentality, there are tips to do all of this and more. There are examples from famous novels included too to help explain each of the endings. There are tips on how to pull on your readers’ heartstrings and a section on the importance of your last line.
- https://blog.reedsy.com/how-to-end-a-story/ – How to End a Story: Top Tips to Nail The Perfect Ending: This article begins with an explanation of the six types of endings and what they are used for before offering 7 tips on how to craft the perfect ending. These tips include coming full circle, leaving some things unsaid, and finding the ending in your beginning. There are some great examples included to help make things clearer.
- https://writersrelief.com/2013/05/10/great-endings-for-books-and-stories/ – 9 Key Elements of Great Endings for Books and Stories: This article looks at some of the key elements that can make a great ending for your story. The right ending is important, and these suggestions can help. Whether you have a plot twist or an emotional epiphany, the outcome of your story is vital. When readers finish a book, it will often be the ending that sticks with them and what they want to discuss with other readers. Getting this right can make all the different to your success.
- https://nybookeditors.com/2016/05/everything-you-need-to-know-about-writing-endings/ – Everything You Need To Know About Writing Endings: The final link for this column comes from NY Book Editors and it focuses on the importance of your last line. It also explains the different types of endings you can use and includes some examples of great last lines in literature.
I hope you enjoyed the links this week and have a better understanding of endings and how to write the perfect ending for the story you are working on. If there is a topic that you would like to see covered, get in touch and I will see what I can do.
(c) Amanda J Evans