Resources for Writers
Memoir Writing Tips and Advice: Really Useful Links by Amanda J Evans
In this week’s column I’m looking at memoirs, which can be quite difficult to write. Delving into the recesses of your mind to pull out memories and stories you want to share with the world. A lot of people think memoirs are autobiographies, but they are in fact little snippets or stories from your life. They can have an overarching theme and there are some sensitivity issues that you need to be careful with as well. Not everyone will remember events the same way you do and in memoir, they are your memories. I hope the links I’ve chosen today will help anyone thinking of writing a memoir or a collection of them.
- https://www.freelancewriting.com/top10tips/10-tips-for-writing-a-memoir/ – 10 Tips for Writing a Memoir: This first article is short and concise and lists ten tips to get you started with memoir writing. It also begins with an explanation of what memoirs are which is tip 1. There’s also a rather nice tip on showing and telling.
- https://www.standoutbooks.com/writing-memoir/ – Six Tips for Writing a Memoir People Will Actually Read: This article actually looks at the things you will want to avoid when writing a memoir so that it becomes an enjoyable experience for those that read it. This includes not using your memoir as a form of therapy and to remember you are not writing an autobiography.
- https://jerryjenkins.com/how-to-write-a-memoir/ – How to Write Your Memoir: A 4-Step Guide: This article from Jerry Jenkins includes a wonderful introduction about memoir as well as information on what publishers look for before delving into the 4-step process which includes knowing your theme, carefully selecting your stories, writing it like a novel, and how to tell the story.
- https://marionroach.com/twenty-top-tips-for-writing-memoir/ – The Twenty Top Tips for Writing Memoir: Marion Roach Smith’s article features her 20 top tips for writing memoir and each tip links to a full blog post explaining it in detail. To get the most from this, I suggest putting aside some time to read all the different tips in detail. Tips include what the difference is between memoir and autobiography, books to read, planning, creating a punch list, characterisation, and more.
- https://www.thecreativepenn.com/2018/03/09/fiction-techniques-writing-memoir/ – 9 Tips for Using Fiction Techniques When Writing Memoir: Joanna Penn has an excellent guest post from Michael Mohr on how you can use your fiction techniques and skills for memoir writing. His tips include using details and the five senses, scene setting, having an arc, how to overcome problems, and more.
- https://www.writing.ie/resources/five-tips-for-planning-a-memoir-by-martin-cavannagh/ – Five Tips for Planning a Memoir by Martin Cavannagh: The final link today is a guest post on our own site from Martin Cavannagh who provides 5 tops tips for writing a memoir including one that caught my attention and that I hadn’t seen mentioned in any of the other links and that is interviewing yourself.
I hope you enjoyed the links and I look forward to bringing you some more Really Useful Links next week. If there is a topic that you would like to see covered, get in touch and I will see what I can do.
(c) Amanda J Evans