In this week’s column I’m looking at novel plotting. I have to be honest; this is not something that I tend to focus on when writing. I’m what many call a pantser, so researching for this column has been fantastic. There is so much advice out there for novel plotting and I’m sure you’ll find the links I’ve come up with as useful as I have.
- https://jerichowriters.com/how-to-plot/ – How To Plot a Novel: This article gives you a template for plotting your novel in a basic and more in-depth structure. It gives you the different headings to use and tells you what you should fill in under each. It also explains different elements.
- https://www.novel-writing-help.com/how-to-plot-a-novel.html – How to Plot a Novel: The Definitive Guide: This is an excellent guide to plotting and covers in detail everything you. It explains what plot is before expanding on character changes and the three act structure.
- https://www.nownovel.com/blog/how-to-plot-novel/ – How to Plot a Novel: 7 Tips for Success: This is a great post that explains what the novel plot is as well as listing effective story plots. It also shows you how to create structured plot outlines as well as looking at subplots. There’s plenty to read in this post and it’s a great way to get a good understanding about how plan your novel.
- https://www.writersdigest.com/online-editor/too-much-of-a-good-thing-dont-sink-a-story-with-too-much-plot – 8 Practical Tips to Avoid Too Much Plot in Your Novel: This Writer’s Digest post provides tips and advice on how to ensure that your plot isn’t too complicated which can result in a book that readers don’t enjoy or a book that just doesn’t work.
- https://www.scribendi.com/advice/goldenrulesforagoodplot.en.html – The Golden Rules for a Good Plot: This article lists a number of rules to ensure that your plot is good. This includes the outline or skeleton of your story as well as making sure you have a powerful resolution.
- https://www.masterclass.com/articles/how-to-outline-your-novel#what-are-the-pros-and-cons-of-creating-an-outline – How To Outline Your Novel: This is an excellent article from Masterclass that provides you with a roadmap to outlining your novel. It explains what a novel outline is, the pros and cons for creating one, and then four methods that you can use to outline your story.
- https://www.writersdigest.com/online-editor/7-steps-to-creating-a-flexible-outline-for-any-story – 7 Steps for Creating a Flexible Outline for Any Story: This is an article that most writers will find helpful, even if you are a pantser. It’s a seven step process that will still let you have fun with your first draft.
I hope you enjoyed the links and I look forward to bringing you some more Really Useful Links next week. If there is a topic that you would like to see covered, get in touch and I will see what I can do.
(c) Amanda J Evans