Resources for Writers
Overcoming and Avoiding Writer’s Block: Really Useful Links by Amanda J Evans
Writer’s block is something that you often hear of and in many cases, it can be a signal that you have gone wrong somewhere in your story. In this week’s column, I am going to look at tips and advice on overcoming writer’s block and also some tips and techniques for avoiding it.
- https://goinswriter.com/how-to-overcome-writers-block/ – How to Overcome Writer’s Block: 14 Tricks that Work: The first article comes from Goins Writer and outlines his 14 tricks for overcoming writer’s block. The article begins with looking at some of the common causes of writer’s block such as timing, fear, and perfectionism. He then lists 14 solutions which include going for a walk, free writing, changing your routine, and more.
- https://blog.reedsy.com/writers-block/ – How to Overcome Writer’s Block: 20 Helpful Tips: The second article comes from the Reedsy Blog and begins with an explanation of what writer’s block is before breaking down 20 different ways to overcome it. Some of these are things you may not have heard before such as changing the POV, mapping out your story, and using imperfect words. There are some great examples included too.
- https://jerryjenkins.com/writers-block/ – How to Overcome Writer’s Block One and for All: My Surprising Solution: The third article comes from Jerry Jenkins and this one is definitely worth taking the time to read. Jerry explains how, in his career, he has managed to get unstuck and why writer’s block is a myth. There is an 11-minute video that you can watch, or you can read the text. You can even download a PDF, so you have it on file for whenever you need it.
- https://writingcooperative.com/writers-block-the-five-main-reasons-why-you-re-experiencing-it-573318af7a13 – Writer’s Block: The Five Mains Reasons Why You’re Experiencing It: In order to avoid writer’s block, it is important to understand why it happens. This article from The Writing Cooperative looks at the five main reasons you might experience it. This includes perfectionism, you’ve lost your connection to the story or characters, too much pressure, fear of rejection, and tiredness. Each of these is explained in detail so be sure to read it.
- https://www.janefriedman.com/reasons-for-writers-block/ – 5 Reasons You’re Experiencing Writer’s Block: Jane Friedman has a blog post that is an excerpt from Fire Up Your Writing Brain by Susan Reynolds which looks at the 5 reasons you might experience writer’s block. There is detailed information on each of these and don’t be surprised if you want to rush out and buy the book once you finish reading.
- https://www.opencolleges.edu.au/informed/features/psychology-writers-block-overcome/ – The Psychology of Writer’s Block (And how to Overcome it): This article looks at what writer’s block is and the things that can cause it such as fear, self-criticism, and external pressure. It also then moves on to discuss 9 ways in which to combat writer’s block. It is definitely worth reading and absorbing.
- http://thelatinoauthor.com/articles/writersblock/ – Writer’s Block: The final article for this week is from The Latin Author and it discussed what causes writer’s block before moving on to looking at ways to overcome it. Many of the ways to overcome writer’s block have already been discussed but reading the explanations on different sites and the way others use them can trigger that aha moment and there are some great tips in this article including the elimination of self-critical thoughts and using a notebook and pen.
I hope you enjoyed the links today and I look forward to bringing you some more Really Useful Links next week. If there is a topic that you would like to see covered, get in touch and I will see what I can do.
(c) Amanda J Evans