Resources for Writers
Submissions Call: Inkubator Books
Submissions deadline: open
Based in Dublin, Inkubator Books is a new digital publisher specialising in genre fiction – crime, mystery, suspense, women’s fiction. We launch our books exclusively on Amazon through its KDP Select program, which allows us to participate in Kindle Unlimited, a huge subscription service that Amazon offers its readers. We published our first book in April 2019 and since then we’ve pushed several titles high into the US and UK bestseller charts.
It’s important to say right up front that Inkubator is not in the business of charging writers for a suite of services. When we publish a book, it won’t cost the author a penny – we pay for the editing, design and marketing of the book.
So who are Inkubator? The company was founded by Brian Lynch and Garret Ryan, both professional writers. Brian works in TV, mainly in the UK and Europe, and has over 70 produced credits across a range of genres. Garret (publishing as Mike Sheridan) has written several post-apocalyptic bestsellers which he has successfully launched on the Amazon platform.
At Inkubator, we are very excited by the possibilities opening up in digital publishing, a segment we feel is going to consume an ever larger share of the total book market. We love the speed and simplicity – no need to get an agent, no interminable waits while a manuscript does the round of publishing houses. It’s just a pure connection between a writer and his or her audience.
Of course, nothing is perfect and the problem for new authors is visibility. There are hundreds of thousands of eBooks published on the Kindle platform every year, so it’s hard to get noticed. And extremely demoralising when you launch your book, having sweated blood over every word, only to watch it languish at 86,232 on the UK Kindle store – and then start to fall. But most writers just don’t have the time – or the inclination – to study how Amazon’s complex discovery engines work (the Kindle Store is non-curated and entirely driven by algorithms) – nor the bewildering array of marketing tools now available – Facebook ads, Amazon ads, Bookbub ads, discount promo sites, etc.
That’s where we come in…
Three good reasons why authors should consider Inkubator –
- With a combined 25 years of professional writing experience, we have carefully studied our selected genres and are confident we can offer an exceptionally high standard of developmental editing. Unlike most publishers, if we think your book is promising, we’ll sit down with you and help you solve story and character problems.
- We have a deep understanding of the Amazon ecosystem. We know how to make the all-powerful algorithms sit up and take notice of your book. (Hint: It’s not by getting friends and family to buy it and leave glowing reviews). We understand how important it is to have a high-end cover that fits your genre, an intriguing blurb, and a strong opening to hook the ‘Look Inside’ tourists. We also know how to launch your book with a highly-targeted marketing campaign, giving it the best possible chance of achieving and maintaining a high sales ranking. Our results speak for themselves – we are consistently pushing titles high into the charts.
- Inkubator offers writers a fair deal. We pay authors 45% of the money we receive from Amazon. We keep the remaining 55% from which we take our fee and pay for the editing, cover design, and ongoing marketing of the book.
So what are we looking for?
First and foremost, we are looking for authors who can tell a gripping and well structured story, one that will keep the reader turning pages right to the end.
Second, we want stories that are fresh and exciting, but also fully satisfy the expectations of their genre. This may sound obvious, but in our experience, many writers don’t really understand this aspect of commercial writing, particularly as it pertains to the Kindle market. The cover and blurb is more than just a way to entice readers to purchase a book. It’s a promise, one which the author must keep.
Finally, we aim to develop long term relationships with writers who are serious about their careers and who can commit to writing two or more novels a year. There are a lot of hungry readers out there, and Amazon rewards those authors who work hard to satisfy their needs.
We are currently accepting submissions of full-length fiction (60,000 – 90,000 words) in our chosen genres – crime, mystery, suspense, women’s fiction. If you are a new author and don’t have an agent, that’s okay. We love to discover exciting new voices and launch them into the world…
Our promise to authors is that we will –
- Offer excellent editorial support to give your book the best possible chance of success
- Consult with you on the cover design
- Implement a carefully structured launch strategy to move your book smoothly up the Amazon sales rankings, so that it will be noticed by the all-powerful algorithms
- Provide advance copies to our trusted reviewers
- Promote your book to our own mailing list
Submissions should be emailed to email@example.com in Microsoft Word format. All submissions must include the full book, a short author bio, and a synopsis (maximum 1 page) of the work.
We are writers ourselves, so we know how miserable it is to be kept waiting. We promise that if we are interested in your book, we will get back to you within 3 weeks.
If you would like to learn more about us, have a look at our website.