Submissions deadline: 18th April 2021
Submissions are now open for Issue 5 of Paper Lanterns.
Paper Lanterns is a YA journal for writers, artists, dreamers, and doers. This is a space for the underrepresented voices and a platform for publishing and promoting young writers and artists so they are seen and heard.
We also make space for those who were once young adults to submit their work! Those who proudly and loudly represent young voices in today’s world.
We are a magazine for writers, readers, and artists. Whether you want to submit your own work or just want feel part of the Paper Lanterns’ community and book club, there is plenty of room for you here.
Short Stories, Flash Fiction, and Poetry
Please be sure to read and adhere to these guidelines carefully, or your submission will not be considered.
- You must be 13+ years old to submit.
- You are welcome to make multiple submissions. Please submit each piece in a separate and titled document.
- We do not accept work that has been published elsewhere.
- We accept simultaneous submissions, but we ask you to notify us immediately if your submission has been accepted elsewhere.
- Submissions after the deadline will not be considered.
- We will respond to every submission within approximately four weeks from the closing date.
- Submissions can be on any topic. Our only criteria is that your submission is written for a teen and young adult audience.
- While we are very open to the content of the submissions, we will not accept any pieces that are prejudiced in nature. We will not accept pieces that include, but are not limited to: sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, or classist content.
Should your submission be successful, we reserve the right to make minor edits to your work to comply with our style guide.
We are able to pay a small fee to our contributors.
If you have any questions regarding these guidelines, please feel free to ask at firstname.lastname@example.org
Maximum word count: 2000 words.
We will accept a maximum of two short stories per submission period.
Maximum word count: 400 words.
We will accept a maximum of three samples per submission period.
Maximum word count: 40 lines
We will accept a maximum of three poems per submission period.
Please format your submission as follows:
- Microsoft Word document
- Font size 12
- Type in Calibri or Times New Roman. (Experimental typography is permitted if it serves a purpose in the story.)
- Do not include your name in the document.
- Each short story should be in a separate document.
- Please title your word document in the following format:
“YOUR NAME” – “Short Story” – “TITLE”
“YOUR NAME” – “Flash Fiction” – “TITLE”
“YOUR NAME” – “Poetry” – “TITLE”
See here for further information.