Resources for Writers
Submissions Call: Split Lip Magazine
Submissions deadline: Open
Split Lip Magazine is a voice-driven literary journal with a pop culture twist. They publish online monthly and in print annually and are open to submissions of Poetry, Short Fiction, Flash Fiction and Memoir.
Send your best unpublished literary, mainstream or experimental writing between 1,000 and 2,500 words. Profanity, sex and such are permitted but we will not publish anything tickling the boundaries of pornography. As much as we like sci-fi, romance, mystery and adventure, please, no genre fiction.
Fiction Editor Katie Flynn says she wants “momentum and specificity, sentences with heat that hit multiple registers…”
Please send your short, shorter, shortest works under 1,000 words.
Flash Editor Maureen Langloss says, “Voice, character, and rhythm. Language with layers and textures. At least one sentence YOU love.”
Give us the dirty lowdown. An unpublished dirty lowdown, please. We love memoir that shines a new light on the human condition. There are no limitations in regards to subject matter. Maximum 2,000 words.
Memoir Editor Ray Shea says: “Steve Almond calls nonfiction ‘a radically subjective account of events that objectively took place.’
That radically subjective space is where the magic happens.
Send us the stories you can’t stop telling. Send us that thing that happened that you could write six different ways and never run out of ideas. Send us the secret that keeps you up every night. Send us the memory that you’ve looked at from every angle and then crushed with a rock to see what it’s made of. Send us trauma. Send us heartbreak. Send us funny. Send us sweetness. Send us you.”
Send us one (yes, just one) poem. Please do not send us more than one poem. Send your best poem, but only one. We mean it.
Poetry Editor Marianne Chan says: “I’m looking to read poems I wish I had written, poems that make me want to clutch my collar and scream. I pay special attention to poems that force readers to question the meaning of poetry; work that is unafraid of the apocalypse, landfills, Britney Spears, the oceanic sublime, bodily fluids, and dating apps; and writing that reaches us through the ear, mouth, nose as well as the eye.”
Terms and Conditions
- We’re open for FREE submissions during the months of December, February, April, June, August, and October.
- We are open for TIP JAR submissions only during the months of January, March, May, July, September, and November.
- We offer an EXPEDITED submission option, which puts your submission to the top of our reading pile. You can expect a response within two weeks (usually sooner). It does not guarantee acceptance.
- Occasionally we may shut FREE subs early due to an overwhelming response (e.g., our free sub cap with Submittable maxes out). If the fees are a burden, please get in touch, and we’ll see what we can do.
- Please submit in one genre only (choose your best and let us do the rest) at a time.
- Should you receive a rejection, please wait one month before submitting again.
- If you’re a previous contributor, we love you, but please wait one year before submitting again.
- 100% of any submission fee goes to running the magazine (web host fees, Submittable fees) and to paying contributors.
- Our web payment rate is $50 per author (payable via PayPal). Payment for print is $5 per page, minimum of $20, plus 2 contributor copies and a 1 year subscription. We will continue to pay for as long as we have the funds.
Split Lip Magazine’s Publication Rights: First-time electronic publication rights are really all we ask for. What’s a magazine without exclusive content?