Resources for Writers
Submissions Call: The Wilbur Smith Adventure Writing Prize
Submissions deadline: 1st March 2019
The Wilbur Smith Adventure Writing Prize is an international book prize that supports and celebrates the best adventure writing today.
First awarded in 2016, the Prize presents awards in three categories: Best Published Novel, Best Unpublished Manuscript and Author of Tomorrow (age 21 and under). The Prize is open to writers of any nationality, writing in English.
Best Unpublished Manuscript – Terms and Conditions
- The competition is open to writers of any nationality writing in English.
- You may enter multiple works but each manuscript must be submitted separately and will be considered a separate entry.
- Submissions must exceed 50,000 words in length.
- The author must not already have a novel published by a recognised trade publisher.
- Self-published books are eligible.
- The author must not be represented by a literary agent.
- If you enter your manuscript in other competitions and you win, please notify us. If we believe there is a conflict of interest, we may ask you to withdraw your submission.
- Entries must be submitted digitally, ideally as a .pdf file although we can accept either a .doc, .docx if necessary. Please contact email@example.com if you have any questions about file type.
- There must be no reference to the author’s name of personal details in the manuscript. We operate a blind judging process.
The Wilbur Smith Adventure Writing Prize reserve the right:
- to disqualify any entry if we have reasonable grounds to believe that the entrant has breached any of these rules. We cannot accept any responsibility for any damage, loss, injury or disappointment suffered by any entrant entering the competition.
- to amend these rules where it is deemed necessary to do so or where circumstances are beyond our control.
- to not award the first prize, where circumstances are beyond our control, or if the judges’ overall verdict is that the level of entries is not up to the required standard.
We will act in accordance with current UK data protection legislation in relation to your personal data. All personal data entered is secure.