This is week three of my point of view series and today we are looking at Third Person. This is probably the most common and you’ll recognise it as he said/she said. The links below all go into greater detail about using third person as well as including examples, advantages, disadvantages, and more.
- https://study.com/academy/lesson/third-person-point-of-view-definition-examples-quiz.html – Third Person Point of View: Definition & Examples: Again, this week, I’m starting with the Study.com website. The little videos they have are great and very easy to understand and you can read some of the transcript that’s available. This is a subscription website, but you do get a general overview with the video and content that is available.
- https://www.masterclass.com/articles/what-is-third-person-point-of-view-in-writing-how-to-write-in-third-person-narrative-voice-with-examples#quiz-0 – What is Third Person Point of View in Writing? How to Write in Third Person Narrative Voice with Examples: This is another great article from Margaret Atwood as part of the Masterclass series and in this one she discusses third person point of view including an explanation of what it is, the three types of third person POV in writing, 3 reason why you might want to write in third person, and 4 tips for getting it right.
- https://www.thoughtco.com/third-person-point-of-view-1692547 – Third Person Point of View: This article looks at the three different types of third person point of view as well as providing examples and explaining about how third person can be like a movie camera. It also looks at how personal or impersonal third person can be.
- https://www.thebalancecareers.com/third-person-point-of-view-1277092 – Third Person Point of View: Omniscient or Limited: This article looks at the advantages of using third person point of view in writing as well as taking a look at the different between omniscient and limited third person. It also provides examples and talks about the rule of consistency.
- https://thewritepractice.com/point-of-view-guide/ – The Ultimate Point of View Guide: Third Person Omniscient vs Third Person Limited vs First Person: This article from The Write Practice provides a definition of point of view as well as explaining why it’s so important before taking a look at the four types of point of view that can be used in writing. There’s a lovely infographic that explains the point of view pronouns. The article is long and goes through each of the point of views providing examples and listing mistakes writers can make. There’s a second infographic included as well that makes it easy to decide which POV to use based on the distance it creates with the reader.
- https://www.autocrit.com/blog/third-person-point-of-view/ – Third Person Point of View: Definition, Types and Tips!: This article from Autocrit looks at the different types of third person point of view as well as providing an example and discussing why it works and why it doesn’t.
- https://www.authorlearningcenter.com/writing/fiction/w/points-of-view/7350/writing-in-3rd-person-point-of-view – Writing in 3rd Person Point of View: This article has lots in it and focuses on the difference between 1st and 3rd person POV, the different types of third person point of view, why you might want to choose third person, the difficulties you might face, and how to decide between first person and third person point of view.
- https://www.novel-writing-help.com/third-person-point-of-view.html – Third Person Point of View Advantages: This article is all about the advantages of writing in third person point of view. There are four main advantages and each of these are discussed in detail including examples. It’s well worth taking the time to read through it.
I hope you enjoyed the links today and I look forward to bringing you some more Really Useful Links next week. If there is a topic that you would like to see covered, get in touch and I will see what I can do.
(c) Amanda J Evans