Writing romance? HarperCollins imprint Avon has developed a digital imprint ‘Avon Impulse’, to get your work straight to readers and it has one of the simplest most hassle free submission process we’ve seen – just complete the form on their website and your book will wing its way to an editor’s desk!
All details are here: http://www.avonromance.com/impulse/
They say: Romance readers know what’s hot…in books, in technology, in trends. Among the first to embrace books digitally, they have encouraged publishers to push the envelope editorially, exploring new subgenres and new formats. With the evolved reader in mind, Avon is introducing a digital imprint, Avon Impulse. This format will allow Avon to publish more quickly, with an eye to what’s new in fiction and romance, delivering fresh, exciting content directly each month to the digital devices of today’s savviest readers.
Avon Impulse has grown organically from our existing publishing program. We’re always looking for ways to grow our authors in a marketplace rife with new opportunity.
So why go digital? [need we ask?!]
They say: Avon Impulse has been developed for two reasons. Firstly, traditional channels for mass market genre fiction are shrinking. Fewer grocery stores, drug stores, mall stores and superstores are carrying a broad selection of romance titles. While there is a strong consumer market for Avon titles, the channels that we have always depended on to grow new voices and publish broadly are under pressure. Second, the growth of eReaders and e-books have created a new opportunity that allows us to begin increasing the number and diversity of our romance list for the first time in 10 years.
Avon Romance and Avon Impulse are looking for books that are super-sexy and romantic. They want the stories you want to read—and write—but can’t always find, and publish Digital original and mass market original romance.
What might get you noticed? They say:
- Fabulously sexy heroes who let nothing get in the way of getting what they want—the heroine of course—and giving her everything she needs.
- Heroines unafraid to take chances in life…and in love. She’s smart and she’s never afraid to stand up for herself.
- You choose the setting, just make sure it’s utterly romantic! We want to be able to immerse ourselves in the wonderful world that you’ve created.
- “Series Wanted!” Readers always cry out for more when you’ve given them characters to believe in…so give us more, too, and you’ll get our attention.
- Dark and dramatic? Bring it on! We all love to laugh, but we’re also interested in stories that explore the many twists and turns of true love.
- Avon Books (print): should be 80-95,000 words in length
- Avon Impulse (digital first): We are seeking full length novels of approximately 50-60,000 words.
- Formatting choices are up to you. If we can read it, you can submit it.
- No need to submit to a specific editor. If a specific editor has requested your manuscript, please let us know and we’ll get it to her.
- No need to submit to specific imprint, either; you’ll work with the same editorial team.
- You should receive an answer either way in about three months.
- You don’t need an agent
Avon royalties are 25% net on the first 10,000 copies downloaded, then on 10,000+ copies, this increases to 50%.
The team at Avon are also keen to see your NaNoWriMo romance manuscripts. According to the excellent publishing industry site GalleyCat:
Avon editors will make themselves available to the author community via online forums at www.nanowrimo.org, and by sponsoring “NaRoWriMo,” the publisher hopes to acquire original works of romantic fiction, to be released in 2013 by Avon Impulse. ”NaRoWriMo” romance fiction submissions should be submitted by December 10, 2012 to Avon Romance’s online submission portal (www.avonimpulse.com), and tagged “NaRoWriMo.” All novel and novella-length submissions (50,000 words and above) will be reviewed, and will be considered for publication through Avon Impulse, the publisher’s digital-first arm.
We would advise giving your Nano project a good read over, spell-check and edit before you submit!