Competitions deadline: 28th September 2020
The Allingham Festival 2020 Flash Fiction and Poetry Competitions are now open! These competitions are designed to recognise and reward talented writers who, in the footsteps of William Allingham, seek to launch or further their careers. The Allingham Festival includes competitions for adult writers of poetry and flash fiction, and also competitions for children.
The top prize in both Flash Fiction and Poetry is €300. Winners are invited to read their winning entries for an online awards ceremony as part of the main festival.
Terms and Conditions
· All entries must be the original work of the entrant. Entrants must be 18 years old or older on or before 4th of November 2020.
· Entries must not have been published elsewhere (online, digital, or in print) before 4th of November 2020.
· Winners of 2018 and 2019 Allingham Poetry or Flash Fiction competitions are not eligible to re-enter in 2020.
· All entries must be written in English.
· Entries must be typed. Handwritten entries will not be considered.
· Entries can be submitted by uploading on our website, email or by post. The deadline for receipt of both postal and e-mail entries is midnight September 28th (new, extended deadline).
· Each entrant may submit up to 5 poems, maximum 40 lines per poem.
· Each entrant may submit up to 5 flash fiction pieces, maximum 700 words each.
· Judges’ decisions are final. No correspondence will be entered into regarding the shortlist or the winners. Entries will not be returned.
HOW TO ENTER
· Submit online entries as .doc, .docx, or .pdf files. Each entry – each poem or flash fiction piece – must be submitted as a separate file. Postal entries must be typed or printed on A4 pages.
· Page number format must include page number and total page count for each entry. Example: Page 1 of 3, Page 2 of 3, etc.
· Flash Fiction pieces will preferably be submitted as Font Size 12, in Arial or Times New Roman font, with 2 cm margins on A4 page(s). Use 1.5 or double-spacing. Include title of entry and page number(s) on all pages. 700 words maximum.
· Poetry formatting, including spacing, is at the discretion of the author. Include title of entry and page number(s) on all pages. 40 lines maximum.
· Each entry must include an application form. For online entries, the entry form serves as an application form. For postal entries, print an application form and include it with your entry.
· Include the title of your story or poem and its page number(s) on all pages, but not your name or any other personal details. Personal information must appear only on the application form.
· The entry fee is €5 for each poem or flash fiction piece.
· Poetry and flash fiction competitions are separate, and entries to the two competitions must be made separately. Example: if you wish to submit one piece of flash fiction and three poems, fill out an entry form for the flash fiction and submit the entry along with the fee. Fill out a separate entry form for the three poems and send the form and the three poems along with the fee.
· Poems and flash fiction pieces must be submitted in separate emails or in separate envelopes.
See here for further details.