Competition: 2019 International Rubery Book Award
Competition deadline: 31st March 2019
The Rubery Prize is a prestigious international book award seeking the best books by indie writers, self published authors and books published by independent presses, judged by reputable judges. Creative writing is such a key part of life for those who enjoy writing yet it is increasingly difficult to become traditionally published. Through our reputation of finding quality and outstanding books we aim to bring recognition to the works that win and heighten an author’s profile. The Rubery Prize is now a well-established name in the publishing world.
Book of the Year £1500 (approx 2000 US$; 1800€ )
The winning book will be read by a top London Literary Agent.
Plus a minimum of the 3 category winners each winning £150 (approx 200$, 180€)
We have secured three high profile judges:
Paul McDonald – senior lecturer in English and Creative Writing at the University of Wolverhampton. He is the author of fifteen books, including three novels and three collections of poetry.
Kerry Hadley-Pryce is a PhD student who has had two novels published; The Black Country and Gamble. She was awarded the Michael Schmidt Prize while completing her MA.
Clare Morrall – her debut novel, Astonishing Splashes of Colour, was shortlisted for the MAN Booker Prize. Morrall was also shortlisted for British Newcomer of the Year 2003. Her fourth novel, The Man who Disappeared, was selected for the TV Book Club 2010. In 2012 The Roundabout Man was released to critical acclaim.
Terms and Conditions
- We accept books and ebooks.
- We accept entry fees in different currencies. To select your currency you will need to go to the payment page. However, to give some idea of cost in the UK it is £37 or $60 USD.
- There is no publication date restriction.
- We accept fiction (all genres), young adult, children’s, biographies, non-fiction, self-help, cookery, poetry, photography etc. There are no limits on the type.
- We have a panel of carefully selected expert readers. When we receive your book we pair up the category of your book with our reader’s specialist interest.
- Our readers observe a strict criteria when reading each book. They are given Book Score Sheets to complete for every book received. In general terms, the most important aspects for you to keep in mind are: whether a book is well written (including structure and style), and whether a book is well presented (cover, pictures (if relevant) and layout).
- We aim to announce in the July of each year.
- The award money will be paid in sterling via a cheque or PayPal.*
- The winning book will be read by a top literary agent at MBA. They are under no obligation to take the winner on as a client but you are guaranteed that they will consider your work. Please also be aware that MBA, like most literary agents, does not represent poetry. A first prize winning poetry volume will still receive the prize money though.
- Please add submissions [at] ruberybookaward [dot] com to your address book to ensure you receive our email confirmation. The confirmation is not automated but sent once we have registered your book.
- Please see our FAQ for any other queries you may have.
More information and apply online here.