Competition deadline: 1st July 2021
An award of £10,000 will be presented to a first-time prose writer whose submission demonstrates literary talent and who would benefit from financial support to complete their work:
• Submissions should take the form of 15,000 – 20,000 words of a work in progress, fiction or non-fiction, which is not agented, under option or contract
• Applicants may not be under contract to any publisher for any work or title in any language
• Applications are only open to writers who have not previously published or self-published a full-length book of prose (with the exception of a collection of poetry)
• Entrants must write in the English language and reside within the British Commonwealth or Eire
• Submissions should be accompanied by a brief synopsis and a short biographical note.
• Applicants who submitted work for previous Writers Awards may re-apply but the work submitted must be new
• Longlisted authors will be offered an editorial consultation with an agent at RCW
• The winner receives a cheque for £10,000 and each runner-up receives £1,000
Submissions for the 2021 Writers Award open on 1st April 2021 and close on 1st July 2021.
If your submission is on the longlist you will be notified by email. The shortlist will be announced in November 2021. The winner of the Award will be announced in London on 7th December 2021 at an event to which the three shortlisted authors will be invited. The judges for the 2021 award are Colm Tóibín (Chair), Deepa Anappara, Anna James and Ingrid Persaud.
See here for further information.