Competition deadline: 1st March 2022
Searchlight Writing for Children Awards is a new competition for aspiring authors writing for children or young adults. Our aim is to create opportunities for emerging authors of children’s fiction to be recognised.
Entries are invited for the Best Short Story for Children or Young Adults Competition, up to 1,000 words. Literary agent and children’s author Chloe Seager will judge the competition. She says, ‘Much like Children’s and YA writing, great short stories are a very specific craft. Every sentence, really every word, has to be selected with care and must propel the story…’
How to Enter
Short stories must be 1000 words or less and be suitable for a child or young adult.
The entry fee per story is £10. Enter via our website.
The ten shortlisted stories will feature in an electronic pitch book called The Winners’ Collection and be sent to numerous literary agents/publishers who have requested it. These stories will also be published in an annual printed anthology. First prize also includes a cash award of £500.
Terms and Conditions
Your story must be suitable for a child or young adult.
- Your story must not exceed the 1,o00 word limit, not including the title. There is no minimum word count.
- Your story should be double-spaced, a size 12 font, and submitted as a doc, docx or PDF file.
- Begin your story with the title. Please don’t include any other identifying information as stories are read blind.
- Entries need to be in English.
- Multiple entries are permitted. However, we require a separate entry form and a new payment each time.
- Stories cannot be altered after they are submitted. Refunds are not given if a story is withdrawn.
- Entrants must be 16 years and over.
- Stories must be previously unpublished. Stories that have been submitted to forums for on-line critiquing are allowed.
- Entries from authors worldwide are welcome.
- Entries must be the work of the entrant.
- While entrants retain full copyright, by entering the Best Short Story for Children or Young Adults Competition you give permission, if shortlisted, for us to publish your name, photograph, biography and the title of your winning story on the Searchlight Awards’ website.
- By entering the Best Short Story for Children or Young Adults Competition you give permission, if shortlisted, for us to publish your story on our website, in our printed annual Anthology (publication date: 2023) and in the Winners’ Collection, which will be sent to UK literary agents and publishers, unless you opt out. On the entry form we will offer you this option.
- The decision of the readers and judges is final. No correspondence will be entered into regarding judging. We are unable to provide individual feedback.
- Results will be posted on the Searchlight Awards’ website and winners will be emailed on 20th June 2022.
See here for further information.