Competition: The Bath Children’s Novel Award
Competition Deadline: 19th November 2017
The Bath Children’s Novel Award 2017 is for unsigned novelists writing for children or young adults.
Prize: £2,000 | Shortlist: £500 award
Judge: Sallyanne Sweeney of Mulcahy Associates Literary Agency
Entry: First 5,000 words plus one page synopsis
The Bath Children’s Novel Award was created in 2015 to support and spotlight unsigned children’s novelists around the world. Entries are shortlisted by a panel of Junior Judges aged from 7 to 17 years, with the winner chosen by a leading children’s literary agent. Submissions are OPEN and invited for middle grade and young adult novels in all genres. From funny to dark; fantastic to futuristic; fashionable to forever, our Junior Judges would love the chance to read your book!
Terms and Conditions
- The Bath Novel Award is a competition open to novelists, of any nationality, who have yet to sign a traditional publishing deal for a novel
- For the purposes of this competition, a “traditional publishing deal” is defined as an offer of publication which includes an advance payment
- Self-published novelists are eligible
- Novels which have been published without an advance payment in the author’s contract are eligible
- Novels can be in any genre written for middle grade or young adult readers. Picture books are not eligible
- The winner of the Bath Children’s Novel Award 2017 will receive £2,000
- One shortlisted writer will receive a £500 voucher from Cornerstones Literary Consultancy which may be exchanged for editorial reports and / or mentoring hours to the value of £500 in either of Cornerstones’ US or UK houses. There is no cash alternative to this prize
- Shortlisted writers will also be offered the opportunity to be introduced to an individually tailored list of literary agents by email or other means. This is an entirely free and optional service
- Entries will open from May 2nd 2017 until 23:59 (GMT) at the close of November 19th, 2017
- Submissions should include (up to) the first 5,000 words of your novel, double-spaced in a size 12 font. Your synopsis should be one page, single spaced in a size 12 font
- As entries are read blind, your name should NOT appear anywhere in your extract/synopsis document
- The entrance fee is £25 per novel and you may enter as many novels as you wish
- Longlistees will be contacted in December 2017 and invited to submit their full manuscript for the final judging stages.
- Shortlisted novels will be announced in January 2018
- The winner of the Bath Children’s Novel Award 2017 will be announced in February 2018
- Novels must be your original work and in English
- There are no minimum or maximum word count restrictions, however as a guide, we recommend 6-10,000 for a chapter book, 40-60,000 for middle grade and 50-70,000 words for YA (or longer for fantasy novels)
- Entrants must be 16 years or over
- The winner agrees to an interview which may be published on our site and in any media for publicity purposes
- Entrants retain full copyright, however by entering, all shortlisted entrants give permission for us to post an extract of up to 5,000 words on our site
- Entrants may be agented, but should not be represented by either the judging agent or any agent at Mulcahy Associates
- Employees of the Bath Novel Award, Cornerstones Literary Consultancy and Mulcahy Associates are not eligible
- Submissions may not be altered after entry
- Entries which do not comply with the competition rules may be disqualified
Full entry details available here.