Competition: Women on Writing Flash Fiction Contest 2019
Competition deadline: 28th February 2019
WOW! Women On Writing invites entries to its Winter 2019 Flash Fiction Contest. The honorable guest judge this season is Literary Agent Kari Sutherland with Bradford Literary Agency. Seeking short fiction of any genre between 250 – 750 words. The mission of this contest is to inspire creativity, communication, and well-rewarded recognition to contestants.
1st Place: $400, publication, interview, and $25 Amazon Gift Certificate; 2nd Place: $300, publication, interview, and $25 Amazon Gift Certificate; 3rd Place: $200, publication, interview and $25 Amazon Gift Certificate; 7 Runners Up receive $25 Amazon Gift Cards, publication and interview; and 10 Honorable mentions. Top 10 stories are published in the WOW! Women On Writing e-zine, and contestants are interviewed on WOW’s blog, The Muffin.
Electronic submissions via e-mail only; reprints are okay; multiple submissions are okay as long as they are submitted in their own individual e-mail. Open internationally. Limit: 300 entries. $10 entry fee; critique option for an additional $10.
Terms and Conditions
1. Your story must be fiction.
2. Your submission must be Minimum: 250 words; Maximum: 750 words. This does not count your title or personal contact information that you add at the END OF YOUR STORY.
3. You must pay $10.00 for the entry before making your submission.
4. You must type Winter Contest Submission 2019 in the subject line of your e-mail. If you purchased a critique, you must type Winter Contest Submission 2019
With Critique in the subject line of your e-mail. Failure to do so will disqualify your entry.
5. The Contest Deadline is February 28, 2019 at 11:59 PM, Pacific Standard Time.
6. Whet our appetite with a title. It will be the only thing typed above your story in the body of your e-mail. No title means a lower technical score for not following the guidelines.
7. At the END of your story, please type on the left hand side the following information:
a. Your name.
b. Your e-mail address; you may submit more than one to be on the safe side.
c. Your mailing address.
d. Telephone number where we will most likely be able to reach you. Just in case you win and we can’t reach you via e-mail.
e. Word count—this does not include your title, name or your personal contact information. We use MS Word to verify the word count of your story.
f. Your unique PayPal Transaction ID or receipt number, which is your confirmation number for payment.
8. WE DO NOT ACCEPT ATTACHMENTS—EXCEPT FOR THOSE THAT PURCHASE A CRITIQUE (See below in the Critique Section). Our Auto responder is polite and may thank you for your e-mail. But, we still WILL NOT ACCEPT ATTACHMENTS.
9. Use Verdana 12 pt type or Plain text. If your e-mail provider doesn’t have the option of Verdana or plain text, you can use Times New Roman or Courier New.
Just make sure the text is black (no fancy colors please) and readable.
10. No html e-mails accepted, except for the aforementioned font. No tables, pictures, etc.
11. The best way to submit your story is to type your story in the body of your e-mail or copy-paste from a plain text document. If you purchased a critique, you may attach your story to the email in a Microsoft Word document.
12. We accept only one submission per title. We accept only one submission per e-mail. Rewrites are not accepted—meaning, once you’ve sent your story in, please don’t revise the same story and send it in again under the same payment. Again, our auto responder graciously thanks you and we, on the other hand, disqualify repeats under the same payment. If you revised your story during the time of the contest and would like to submit the new edited and updated version, you must go through the entry process again and submit another payment. Why? Because your story has most likely already been submitted to judges, and if we allowed writers to rewrite stories and send them in over and over on the same entry, our judges—who are volunteer industry professionals—would probably pull their hair out from all the extra time spent on rereading and evaluating one story. Remember, we only allow a limited number of stories to be entered in the contest, so each story must be submitted with its own payment.
13. E-mail your submission to: firstname.lastname@example.org, no later than
11:59 PM, February 28, 2019, Pacific Standard Time.
14. The act of entering this contest constitutes an agreement between you and
WOW, that you agree to EVERY ONE OF THE 14 GUIDELINES and that you acknowledge pleading a case for not following these guidelines will not move WOW or our Auto responder to nullify the disqualification.
a. In case of disqualification, remember the only serious mistakes are the ones from which we don’t learn.
Further information here.