The Celtic Mythology Short Story Competition 2017
Competition deadline: 10th December 2107
Irish Imbas Books have launched the third Celtic Mythology Short Story Competition.
$500 and story published in Irish Imbas Celtic Mythology Collection
$250 and story published in Irish Imbas Celtic Mythology Collection
$100 and story published in Irish Imbas Celtic Mythology Collection
What We’re Looking For
Any kind of fiction short story will be considered (action, romance, drama, humour etc.) as long as they meet the following criteria:
- Celtic mythology or folklore forms a fundamental element of the story (i.e. the characters can be characters from Celtic mythology, the action can take place in a mythological location, mythological concepts can be used etc.).
- Any Celtic folklore or mythological reference used should be culturally accurate (for example; no dedicated pantheon of Irish Gods, no werewolves, vampires or other elements that don’t fit with the established mythology of ‘Celtic’ countries)
- A compelling story/theme, engaging characters. You’re a writer – you know what we mean.
To get a feel for the type of stories that were successful in previous competitions (and the context behind them) we strongly advise downloading a free digital copy of previous Irish Imbas: Celtic Mythology Collections at the Irish Imbas Bookshop. These can also be found free of charge at most other ebook stores.
The Process and Important Dates
- Submitted stories will be read and assessed and a shortlist compiled.
- A panel of judges will score each shortlisted story and choose the top three prize-winning stories. A selection of the top 5 -10 scoring stories will be published in the 2018 Irish Imbas: Celtic Mythology Collection. In this respect, Irish Imbas Books retains one-time, non-exclusive publication rights to the selected entries chosen for publication.
- Submissions will be accepted from midnight 2 September 2017 to midnight 10 December 2017.
- This will be an annual competition so any submission received after midnight 10 December 2017 will be automatically entered into the competition for the following year.
- The shortlist will be announced on irishimbasbooks.com, on the Irish Imbas Books Facebook page and on the Irish Imbas Books Twitter feed [@ImbasInfo] before 31 January 2018.
- Winners will be contacted by email.
- Prize money will be paid to the authors of the three prize-winning stories in February/March 2018.
- The Irish Imbas: Celtic Mythology Collection 2018 will be released in March/April 2018.
Terms and Conditions
- Maximum number of words is 4000 words, excluding the title.
- Submissions must be received by midnight 10 December 2017. Submissions received after that date will be automatically enrolled in the 2018 competition and the same conditions apply.
- Submissions must be in English
- The competition is open to authors residing anywhere in the world.
- The submitted stories must be the original work of the entrant.
- The submitted stories must not have been previously published (print or online). If you receive a prize and/or are published as part of this competition, we’re more than happy for you to resubmit your story for publication elsewhere, provided we retain one-time, non-exclusive publication rights to the story for the Irish Imbas Celtic Mythology Collection
- Authors will retain copyright of their submitted stories.
- Authors can submit up to three stories maximum however each author can only win one cash prize.
- Submissions must be sent by email as attachments (i.e. not in the body of the mail) to: firstname.lastname@example.org
- There is a $US 7 (seven US dollars) entry fee for 1 (one) entry, a $US 12 (twelve dollars US) entry fee for 2 (two) entries and a $USD 15 (fifteen US dollars) entry fee for 3 (three) entries. Please pay BEFORE sending your entry.
- Submission of a short story to the Irish Imbas Celtic Mythology Short Story Competition is taken as acceptance of all the Rules, Terms and Conditions.
- Once a submission is received, no refunds of the entry fee will be given under any circumstances.
Full Terms and Conditions can be found at the Irish Imbas Books website